Monday, August 17, 2009

A letter to Our Lady of Weight Loss

I follow Our Lady of Weight Loss's blog, and I get her regular enewsletters called A Kick in the Tush. Here's an awersome excerpt from one I got this week. It really touched me...

Dear OLofWL ~ HELP!! I have no idea how to start, where to go, what
to do or which end is up. I definitely know the numbers on the scale are
up, and I definitely know the fluff is taking over my body. I also know I
have a smokin' hot body - it just happens to be covered with rolls, dimples and
squishy stuff at the moment.
Here's the thing - I'm a single mom, I
work full time, I go to school at night and I can't afford to join a gym - and
let's not even talk about how veggies are more expensive than a box of mac and
cheese. I would love to incorporate daily exercise into my life (not just for
me, but to set an example for my daugher) - but the only time I have to exercise
is when my 4 year old daughter is sleeping - and it's not like I can leave the
house for a zoom around the block and leave her alone. To add to this
recipe for flubber, I injured the same knee 4 times this past year and some
exercises would be impossible for me right now. I am completely overwhelmed by
my life and would rather pop open a container of Chunky Monkey than face my
insanity. I don't know how to start to make the lasting changes I want and
need to make in my like. I'm 5'2" and weigh 225 - gross, I know. I
hate this and am self-conscious all of the time and this is not the person I
want to be - it's not the person I know I am meant to be. I have so much
inside of me that I can't/won't bring out because of my weight and how it makes
me feel. What do I do and how do I start? Thanks so much. ~
Shelley S.

Dear Shelley ~ I get it, Shelley. You are overwhelmed and have triple
portions of life on your plate. Thing is, if you want to change, to
lose weight, to move forward, you've got to start someplace. So, I am
wondering if there is one small change that you can make, just to get your
upward spiral in motion. And so I'm asking you to think hard and write out
10 really small things that you could do and pick one to start with. One
small step forward. Maybe around the Chunky Monkey? Like not keeping
it in the house? Step One: Make your home your safe haven. A
place that supports your best self. Please let me know what step you
take. ~ OLofWL

No comments:

Post a Comment