Saturday, May 9, 2009

In the beginning...

There were many beginnings. I'm not sure why this time it's the last beginning, but it is. I'm through giving up and starting over. A few weeks ago, Weight Watchers introduced a WalkIt challenge. I had already completed my first-ever walk-for-a-cause back in November of '08, when I was active in Weight Watchers, and I felt great. I did the Step Out Walk to fight diabetes. I walked every morning that didn't rain and followed my WW plan religiously. I did well with the weight loss. I felt like I was letting people down if I didn't go out and walk. That's what I liked about doing a walk for a cause. After the walk, my motivation petered out, and I even stopped going to WW. I gained everything back.

Well, I'm back: A few weeks ago, I re-joined WW. I've lost 8 lbs. I am attending karate class regularly. (At least three times a week, which is good since I'm one of the owners of the school.) With the new WalkIt challenge at WW, I got a membership to Active.com. I set myself up with an 8 wk. walking plan and followed it up with a 9 week c25k plan. I'm walking at least 3-4 mornings a week and taking my dog with me. She's a lab, and can't be happier about getting outside.

The c25k plan is great: I can't stop finding posts from people raving about it. There are some very motivational success stories and helpful tips posted on Active.com about it. It's the Couch to 5k program on Coolrunning.com's website. These two plans I'm following should whip me into shape. I've given myself a little leeway for possible injuries or setbacks.

I do best with goals in mind: I have registered for the Komen Houston Race for a Cure non-competitive 5k in October '09 and the Step Out Walk to fight diabetes in November '09, also a non-competitive 5k. Those are my short-term goals - to survive. Simple enough. I'm thinking about the long-term ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment